Why Window Repair & Restoration?
We Have & Want Windows, Glass & Frames
HRI inventories window sash by size (height, width & thickness) and style. Introduce a historic window into your project instead of a new window.
HRI has a stockpile of vintage glass, from 18th century crown glass to various grades of 19th century cylinder/plate glass. Glass ranges in quality and size, so please contact us.
HRI will gladly save windows and window parts from the landfill.
Historic Buildings contain lead. Intact, lead is inert and essentially harmless. But allowing friction, impact, peeling, scraping, sanding and burning makes lead airborne. Heritage Restoration's shop has been tested and monitored by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, allowing HRI to manipulate, remove and sand lead safely. Whatever can be removed, from windows, doors, moldings or columns, HRI can restore it.
- Remove the window, door or molding element and transport to the shop.
- Document and tag the element.
- Stick the element in the Steam Stripper. The element is subjected to 206 degrees of steam for about 1/2 hour.
- Scrape and collect the lead on the Downdraft table.
- Save and clean the glass.
- Complete wood repairs.
- Sand on the Downdraft table
- Apply Valpenturp preservative coat.
- Bedglaze glass, pin and glaze.
- After 5 days, apply oil primer.
- Apply two coats of finish.
- Reinstall element.
- Restore function.
The Steam Stripper allows a wet scrape, without chemicals
In a controlled environment the product is neater and more time efficient.
The Downdraft table has 2-10,000 cfm fans, a 1" disposable pre-filter, a 6" HEPA filter that vents out of the building and it's on rollers.
Weatherstripping and Storm Windows will reduce air flow, saving considerable energy. Better than a replacemrnt window.