The Smith Hill Library-Providence Community Library is located at 31 Candace Street in Providence, RI, and is one of the branch libraries of the Providence Community Library (PCL), a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. In July 1, 2009, the PCL assumed the management of Providence’s nine neighborhood libraries, after the Providence Public Library determined they lacked resources to manage all of its branches.
The Smith Hill Library was designed by Albert Harkness and C.K. Rathbone in 1932 as a single-story brick building. The building is a mix of Colonial Revival and Art Deco features. The Smith Hill branch began as a delivery station in 1907, had grown to an annual circulation of more than 70,000 by 1929. Circulation rose rapidly after the building’s completion, reaching 119,000 in just three years. The building continues to act as a significant local community resource. The library was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
Heritage Restoration, Inc was awarded the Steel Casement Window Restoration Project in February of 2016 for the restoration of the 3 front windows. The project was funded by the Department of Housing and Urban Development through the City of Providence’s Department of Planning and Development as a Community Development Block Grant(CDBG).
The windows are steel frames, where little of the original glass was left. The crew completed the following:
- Removed the hardware and restored it
- Removed paint
- Removed glass/plexiglass panes
- Repaired the steel and wood frame
- Primed the steel and wood
- Set and glazed new safety glass
- Finish coated
- Caulked the wood to stone transition
- Installed a new book depository